What Do I Do if I Have Proof I’ve Been Underpaid?

Employers underpaying employees is not a new concept to explore. Even with copious amounts of laws in place at the federal and state levels, these violations are still occurring. If you believe you have proof of being underpaid, this blog will walk through your options for receiving the compensation you deserve.

Federal & State Laws

The first aspect to consider is that the state of Florida does not have an agency that receives employee grievances or enforces wage and labor laws. This means that if you would like to ensure your rights, you will have to either file a lawsuit or file a complaint with the Department of Labor.

If you are looking to file a lawsuit, there are different time constraints that you need to adhere to that are outlined by Florida state and federal laws:

Florida Law:

  • If your employer failed to pay minimum wage, you have four years to file a lawsuit

  • You have five years to file a claim if your employer’s actions were willful.

Federal Law:

  • You have two years to file a claim after your employer’s violation or after you learned of the violation.

  • If the violation was willful, you have three years to file a suit or have a suit filed for you.

Why You Should Hire an Attorney

If you wish to file a lawsuit or unpaid wages claim, hiring an attorney would be in your best interest. An attorney would not only be able to file the claim for you, but they would also be able to inform you if you have any other claims to file, such as breach of contract.

As experienced attorneys, we have the tools in order to fight for the wages that were kept from you. That’s why the team at Law Offices of Nolan Klein, P.A. is ready to intercede on your behalf. Give us a call at (877) 745-0090 or contact us online to set up a free consultation.